Is Abraham Hicks True? Did you eat the whole thing? The Abraham-Hicks thing’s a puzzle, isn’t it? Not so long ago, I ate the whole thing, just as you may have.
Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
Is Abraham-Hicks a Scam? A Closer Look
Do you believe Esther and Jerry Hicks’s claims about Abraham? Agreeing on what what the “teachings” are is easy enough or at least what they used to be.
But a vocal group of skeptics and critics call the whole show an Abraham Hicks scam, a fraud that Esther and Jerry Hicks kept running for twenty-five years.
Is Abraham Hicks True?
Is Abraham Hicks True? 100 Nonphysical Teachers
Esther and Jerry Hicks insisted that a hundred or so “nonphysical” teachers, speaking in collaboration as Abraham arise in Esther Hicks’ head, delivering “blocks of thought” which she translates as teachings of eternal wisdom.
At best, this can’t explain why she stood barefoot on stage in ritual garb, going into apparent trances and talking with an eerie accent. In the beginning, the story goes, entities dumped wisdom into Esther’s cranium, and she spit it out, translated.
Over the years, the accent evaporated, evolving into normal speech and another mystery, but older recordings are still available.
The truth about Esther Hicks and Abraham is probably more obvious than obscure, with a quarter of a century to look back on for contradictions and inconsistencies.
There’s jumbled information, a mania for selling workshops, cruises, books and associated products. This souped up marking apparatus went beyond what skeptics thought possible in 2011.
That year, they openly tooled up Jerry Hicks’s fatal cancer to goose ticket sales, DVDs and webcasts.
In the spring of 2011, Abraham-Hicks followers were surprised by an announcement that Jerry Hicks was undergoing chemotherapy.
(And, no, while he was alive and fighting, they have never admitted that he battled leukemia.)
An admission proving a critical part Esther Hicks’s preaching was false.
I’ve written several articles and participated in more forums than I can count where the primary topic is Esther Hicks and Abraham. If there’s a point of view I haven’t heard or debated, I’d be surprised.
I’ve criticized flaws in Abraham’s teachings and especially in Esther’s evolving, sometimes mean-spirited style, which lacks, not just empathy, but ordinary kindness.
Nothing else I’ve written on any subject draws as much attention. Or hostility.
Esther, Jerry Hicks and the Abraham Hicks Scam: Facade Crumbles
Is Abraham Hicks true?
I once wrote an article, Is Esther Hicks Faking?
Then, I wrote that she wasn’t.
Since, I reversed that opinion.
Anyone reviewing the twenty-five year public history of Esther Hicks on stage, speaking the same message, evolved and honed, would have a hard time concluding that it was a gimmick. A performer with skills greater than Laurence Olivier might not be able to pull it off. Even stars in long running plays and televisions shows give it up sooner.Is Esther Hicks Faking
But holes breached the overall fabric of Esther Hicks’s Abraham “truths” when challenged by the World Trade Center disaster.
Despite the obvious craziness , Esther, as Abraham, insists that all deaths are voluntary. In other words, each is a suicide.”No exceptions!” she declared.
More than in the past, marketing and sales messages saturate every step. And there were enough contradictions and false claims, some of the “teachings” must be bogus. The couldn’t be both true and false, could they?
Either that or their “eternal beings,” Abraham, were not very bright.
Starting in mid-2009, the presentations began to unravel and the spirit grew coarser.
In depth studies, like those reported in the blog, Kyra Speaks, poke holes in the story that couldn’t be glossed over.
Is Abraham Hicks True? What About The Others?
All of these have human counterparts who claim they are conduits from another spiritual or nonphysical world, much like Esther is with Abraham.
Esther and Jerry were neither first nor original.
The success Esther and Jerry had promoting Abraham, as well as a lack of media scrutiny, spawned newcomers claiming to channel whatever and dispense readymade wisdom.
Success begets imitators.
Even when new channels are not involved, self-appointed teachers and law of attraction life coaches abound. There are even people who claim that they too channel the same Abraham Esther does.
Could there be a shortage of nonphysical entities, of charitable channels, forcing them to share?
Teachings of Abraham Hicks
Abraham, it is said, takes over the mind of Esther Hicks in meditation and delivers “blocks of thought.”
Why did this create an accent, a la Theo? That’s not explained, and Abraham tells audiences that there are no words in the spirit world.
Questions hang or are dismissed.
Here are some basics:
- The central teaching from Abraham is that the “Law of Attraction” is the most powerful force in the universe. Thought empowers vibrations that attract their equivalent. Thoughts force the universe to deliver the essence of what is being thought about. The more emotionally powerful the thought, even if ill-defined, the more more complete and quick is the delivery.
- Because most of us are unaware of the power inherent in our thoughts and emotions, we create realities by default. That is, the universe has no choice but to deliver, no matter how unintentional or careless your “thought vibrations.” A fear of something, for example, has the ability to bring that fear into your life. As Esther and Jerry Hicks write in Ask and It Is Given, “You get what you think about, whether you want it or not.”
- Acknowledging the confusing complexities most people must sort through, Abraham suggests a number of implementing practices. In brief, they encourage “reaching for the next best thought,” giving students step ladders to find their way up incrementally.
- Abraham teaches positive thinking and maintaining faith in results. Manifestations of desires must arise in complex lives where other desires and conflicts compete. Sorting out is a learning process. A lack of faith delays delivering the goodies.
- “Life is supposed to be fun,” a motto derived from the teachings and embraced by Jerry and Esther Hicks and their followers. If you don’t get results from the law of attraction, relax, take a breath, and find the impulse that feels right. Be easy with it. Pick up your oars and float easily downstream.
- Finally, daily meditation is critical. Meditation was the first thing Theo recommended to Esther and Jerry, and it was through meditation that Abraham entered their lives.
The teachings coming from Esther Hicks and Abraham began simply, grew tangled and, finally, full of contradictions and bad advice.
But it’s easy to see how this happens more visibly as the “teachings” meet reality and must be justified.
The challenge of turning teachings into demonstrable results is hard enough, but the bizarre nature of some — all deaths are suicides, for one — make it impossible.
Abraham Hicks followers dismiss skeptics as failures. They misunderstand the teachings or practice them effectively.
Esther and Jerry seldom allowed interviews and, after making fools of themselves with a British journalist, they stopped.
Dissenters and doubters are evicted from workshops, and the tightly controlled official Abraham Hicks Forum deletes threads as “off topic.”
Look for yourself. Read the core books.
Avoid anything having to do with The Vortex, the books, the guided meditations, etc. That’s all rehashed garbage heaped on the market with nothing new to say.
Once you get your basic information, anything else is just details and sales.
More from Assorted Ideas, Large & Small
- Who is Esther Hicks and Is She Alive Now?Esther Hicks has been a spiritual teacher for decades, and she is most well-known for her work with Abraham. She is best known as the author of the book “Ask and It […]
- Esther Hicks fans love her, but the question is, Why?As decades of workshops, cruises and bestselling books show, many Esther Hicks fans love her. But what’s behind the unflinching adoration? Their devotion rivals religion, even as it excuses or overlooks major […]
- Selling Abraham-Hicks: How They Really Got RichAbout selling Abraham-Hicks… Excited by my first brush with Abraham-Hicks, pacing around that airport in Buffalo, waiting for my delayed flight, I searched for more when I was back in New York. […]
- Jerry Hicks, Cancer And Rolling Out A Painful TaleJerry Hicks’ Cancer Story: Chemotherapy, a Fire Ant Bite, and What Abraham Hicks Tried to Hide By David Stone On May 7th, 2011, Abraham-Hicks subscribers got an starling email alert: An Abraham LIVE event […]
- Can Paul Selig Really Be The Esther Hicks We Wanted?Is Paul Selig the Esther Hicks we wanted? The contrast are stark but most break between consistency (Selig) and contradiction (Hicks.)
Categories: Abraham Hicks Skeptic