Henri Matisse Cat Art Parody
Famous Artists’ Cats
About this Matisse cat art parody… Still life paintings are a problem with cats. A big one. The trouble starts with the word “still.”
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
By David Stone
Nude dancers whirled around him in ecstasy, and with Billy and Sam, he explored the wonders of goldfish in Matisse’s Paris studio.
The River Seine flowed sweetly below.
When George posed inside a Matisse still life, the expression on his face reveals his feelings.
“What the heck?” it says, eyes popped open in anticipation.
Where are the dancers? Where are the fish, any fish?
When he got to visit Paul Cézanne’s still life, Billy and Sam tagged along for company.
About Matisse Still Life Cat Art Parody
In this Matisse still life, the pears and berries, just sit there, fulfilling their mission: nature morte, nature dead, still and offering him nothing more than a good sniff.
What makes the painting wonderful, for everyone except George, is its powerful blue atmosphere.
The blues are so vibrantly intense, only the drawn in lines create a table top for our favorite cat model who otherwise might fly off into infinity.
Look at George’s paws. He’s clinging to the table for dear life, half-expecting to slide off. And his radar dish ears…
His ears wait for an alarm to go off. Maybe in his internal warning system, it already has.
And there’s something he hasn’t yet noticed sure to excite him.
Henri Matisse wasn’t capable of finishing any work of art without a lively ingredient or two. This still life, into which George was talked into perching, is no exception.
Behind the blue table on which George has been persuaded to pose, Matisse added a window, a window so highly abstract that some of his berries seem to be leading a charge through it to the great outdoors.
There, flying straight out of an engagement with Vincent Van Gogh in Arles, a fleet of crows arrives with, finally, a little fun for the cat.
George will soon be stimulated by the arrival of the crows, and the birds themselves will be pleased that there is a window separating them from the cat, no matter what the berries think.
This print is available on Etsy.
Also from Assorted Ideas, Large & Small
- Mom’s greatest gift for her child is a healthy gut microbiomeMom’s greatest gift for her child is not sentimental. It arrives with birth. Babies come alive through a rich vaginal wash of microbes that guide digestive health for a lifetime. All animals […]
- About the Minton Tiles at the Bethesda Fountain in Central Park, New York CityThe Bethesda Fountain is a landmark in Central Park. A terrace with Minton tiles leads to the Bethesda Terrace Arcade. by David Stone Assorted Ideas, Large & Small Philanthropist Oliver Hazard Perry […]
- DR. KING REMAINED HOPEFUL. SO CAN WE.King’s “Testament of Hope” sounds as relevant today as the day it was published. By Dedrick Asante-Muhammad | January 12, 2022 Assorted Ideas, Large & Small 2022 has begun with melancholy, as our country […]
- Ask KHN-PolitiFact: Is My Cloth Mask Good Enough? The 2022 EditionVictoria KnightJanuary 12, 2022 Assorted Ideas, Large & Small The highly transmissible omicron variant is sweeping the U.S., causing a huge spike in covid-19 cases and overwhelming many hospital systems. Besides urging […]
- Reincarnation: Proof of life after death or a big misunderstanding?Mainstream, conservative scientists repeatedly tell us there is no evidence for life after death, yet reincarnation studies, life between lives reports and near-death experiences suggest otherwise. What are the facts and truths? […]
Categories: The Thing About Cats