Henri Matisse Cat Art Parody
Famous Artists’ Cats
About this Matisse cat art parody… Still life paintings are a problem with cats. A big one. The trouble starts with the word “still.”
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
By David Stone
Nude dancers whirled around him in ecstasy, and with Billy and Sam, he explored the wonders of goldfish in Matisse’s Paris studio.
The River Seine flowed sweetly below.
When George posed inside a Matisse still life, the expression on his face reveals his feelings.
“What the heck?” it says, eyes popped open in anticipation.
Where are the dancers? Where are the fish, any fish?
When he got to visit Paul Cézanne’s still life, Billy and Sam tagged along for company.
About Matisse Still Life Cat Art Parody
In this Matisse still life, the pears and berries, just sit there, fulfilling their mission: nature morte, nature dead, still and offering him nothing more than a good sniff.
What makes the painting wonderful, for everyone except George, is its powerful blue atmosphere.
The blues are so vibrantly intense, only the drawn in lines create a table top for our favorite cat model who otherwise might fly off into infinity.
Look at George’s paws. He’s clinging to the table for dear life, half-expecting to slide off. And his radar dish ears…
His ears wait for an alarm to go off. Maybe in his internal warning system, it already has.
And there’s something he hasn’t yet noticed sure to excite him.
Henri Matisse wasn’t capable of finishing any work of art without a lively ingredient or two. This still life, into which George was talked into perching, is no exception.
Behind the blue table on which George has been persuaded to pose, Matisse added a window, a window so highly abstract that some of his berries seem to be leading a charge through it to the great outdoors.
There, flying straight out of an engagement with Vincent Van Gogh in Arles, a fleet of crows arrives with, finally, a little fun for the cat.
George will soon be stimulated by the arrival of the crows, and the birds themselves will be pleased that there is a window separating them from the cat, no matter what the berries think.
This print is available on Etsy.
Also from Assorted Ideas, Large & Small
- Your mind, no matter what you think, is not stuck inside your skull…Your mind, contrary to what everyone thinks, is not your brain. It’s incredible, after one-hundred years, we’ve learned so little from quantum physics. By David Stone Assorted Ideas, Large & Small What […]
- How long does it take to get forwarded mail? Six months or infinity?I was excited when I got my first mail forwarded by the U.S. Postal Service. Seemed like it took forever, but it was only a little under seven months. For the rest […]
- New York Skyline, Early Autumn Sunset in FDR Four Freedoms State ParkIn FDR Four Freedoms State Park, the most serene space in all five boroughs, an early autumn sunset outlines the New York skyline. So near while still so far away… Also from […]
- “Nothing Crushes Us…” True. One Year Ago in Greenwich Village“Nothing Crushes Us,” a poster on University Place in Greenwich Village, a sign of New York City unity. Outdoor dining was just beginning to get a foothold, and a year later, it […]
- A Science Cult Out To Make You SmallProtected socially like an endangered religion, a science cult works at making your life seem smaller and less meaningful. If you knock religion, you’re in trouble with a lot of people. But […]
Categories: The Thing About Cats