NYC confiscates 34 ice cream trucks, striking back against scofflaws.
This happened in 2019, proving that, while New York was still crazy, it had a more whimsical veneer.
One hot day in June, the city hijacked 34 of them. The towed them away and parked them next to New York’s worst polluting power plant in Ravenswood, Long Island City.
“By constantly changing companies, operators could continue to re-register their trucks while eluding city officials,” the Times said.
“The truck owners ‘sought to evade enforcement of our traffic laws through an elaborate shell game, transferring ownership of their ice cream trucks between and among dozens of phony companies, effectively shielding their trucks from fines and seizure,’ said Zachary W. Carter, the city’s corporation counsel.”
When New York City confiscates 34 ice cream trucks…
It’s a piece of a continuing saga of trouble with these seemingly innocent pieces of wheeled commerce. When NYC confiscates 34 ice cream trucks, it pales next to the turf wars in which they’ve been involved.
As Eater New York reported…
Summer is just barely unofficially back and so is the now-infamous soft serve brawl between longtime giant Mister Softee and young disruptor New York Ice Cream. The fight between the two ice cream trucks is now several years deepand returns this year with theatrics like private investigators and violent intimidation tactics.Eater New York
More from New York City…
Latest posts from Assorted Ideas, Large & Small
- Analysis: NYS personal income tax levy more than twice the amount of national averageBy Dave Fidlin | The Center Square contributor/July 30th, 2021 (The Center Square) – Collectively, governing entities across New York state levy more than twice the national average in personal income taxes, […]
- READERS DIDN’T GIVE UP ON LOCAL NEWS. CORPORATIONS DID.Corporations gutted local newspapers and then wondered why people stopped buying them. By Jim Hightower | July 28, 2021/First published in Other Words Mega-investor Warren Buffett once held a big portfolio of daily and […]
- The science of habitsIf you’re trying to break a bad habit or start a good one, psychologists have some tips By Stephanie Parker 7.15.2021 Assorted Ideas, Large and Small For many of us, the […]
- All Cops Should Submit DNA Samples to Avoid Crime-Scene Confusion: Federal ReportReuven Blau, THE CITY This article was originally published on Jul 15 at 8:39pm EDT by THE CITY When 22-year-old German police officer Michele Kiesewetter was fatally shot in the head while […]
- ENGAGING WITH EXTREMISMIt’s tragic that people die because of vaccine conspiracy theories. But the answer may be to listen, not confront. By Jill Richardson | July 14, 2021/Previously published in OtherWords.org Assorted Ideas, Large & Small […]
Categories: New York City