NYC confiscates 34 ice cream trucks, striking back against scofflaws.
This happened in 2019, proving that, while New York was still crazy, it had a more whimsical veneer.
One hot day in June, the city hijacked 34 of them. The towed them away and parked them next to New York’s worst polluting power plant in Ravenswood, Long Island City.
“By constantly changing companies, operators could continue to re-register their trucks while eluding city officials,” the Times said.
“The truck owners ‘sought to evade enforcement of our traffic laws through an elaborate shell game, transferring ownership of their ice cream trucks between and among dozens of phony companies, effectively shielding their trucks from fines and seizure,’ said Zachary W. Carter, the city’s corporation counsel.”
When New York City confiscates 34 ice cream trucks…
It’s a piece of a continuing saga of trouble with these seemingly innocent pieces of wheeled commerce. When NYC confiscates 34 ice cream trucks, it pales next to the turf wars in which they’ve been involved.
As Eater New York reported…
Summer is just barely unofficially back and so is the now-infamous soft serve brawl between longtime giant Mister Softee and young disruptor New York Ice Cream. The fight between the two ice cream trucks is now several years deepand returns this year with theatrics like private investigators and violent intimidation tactics.Eater New York
More from New York City…
Latest posts from Assorted Ideas, Large & Small
- Didja ever just feel like a knucklehead pumpkin?Who knew such a creature existed? But then, all of the sudden, there it was, plopped down in our home delivery grocery bag. It came courtesy of FreshDirect. By David Stone Assorted […]
- What’s Killing Hawks, Owls, Ducks and Squirrels in New York City Parks?Katie Honan, THE CITY This article was originally publishedon Oct 18 at 7:37pm EDTby THE CITY/Sign up here to get the latest stories from THE CITY delivered to you each morning. The dead, male, red-tailed hawk […]
- New York City Views — Fraternal Twins, 2nd Avenue & 59th StreetMore from Assorted Ideas, Large & Small
- Your mind, no matter what you think, is not stuck inside your skull…Your mind, contrary to what everyone thinks, is not your brain. It’s incredible, after one-hundred years, we’ve learned so little from quantum physics. By David Stone Assorted Ideas, Large & Small What […]
- How long does it take to get forwarded mail? Six months or infinity?I was excited when I got my first mail forwarded by the U.S. Postal Service. Seemed like it took forever, but it was only a little under seven months. For the rest […]
Categories: New York City