We’ve all been there, haven’t we? My first wife, long, long ago, raged that arguing with me was like “talking to a wall.” I wasn’t into the arguments thing, had never had a battling relationship and wasn’t ready to start.
By David Stone
So, I can’t say I disagreed. Or that I didn’t enjoy the tactic.
I’ve thrown that insult in frustration myself, a few times.
But until today on West 23rd Street in New York City, I thought of it as more like a metaphor.
Some other New York City views like Talking To A Wall…
Then, I saw this woman literally talking to a wall. It was a granite wall between Eataly and its wine shop. The only surprise — she seemed pretty happy to be going at it.
I wondered if I was missing something. Was she a rock climber? An urban geologist? An architect admiring the building material?
Here’s what the Urban Dictionary says…
More from Assorted Ideas, Large & Small
- Images of New York CityImages of New York City bring an angular view to urban spaces, seen through street photography. Catching what’s missed in the rush. Balloon Girl (Soho) by Deborah Julian Up Close, What Does […]
- The Tale of Two New York City SkyscrapersThe tale of two skyscrapers shows how pride, ego and art drove Manhattan skyward with unforgettable monuments. Today’s motives are different. Will featureless glass towers smother the Chrysler and Empire State Buildings?
- The Blue Dragon Found A Happy Home On Roosevelt IslandFlashback: On April 26, 2016, TheBlue Dragon, a children’s sculpture donated to Roosevelt Island by Swedish artists Gustav and Ulla Kraitz was unveiled in its new and permanent home along the East River […]
- Broken people: My 9/11 NeighborhoodOn a Morning Before the Whole World Changed Broken people, 9/11 neighborhood…Ten years ago, for example, just yesterday really, I climbed up subway steps grimy with the soot of a million shoes […]
- The Wild Ride To New York’s Ghost TunnelNew York’s Ghost Tunnel, conceived in 1963, in a very different New York, wasn’t supposed to be a secret. In February that year, the Transit Authority proposed a two track subway tunnel […]