FIGMENT NYC was a RIOC win, a big one, in 2019, and it was getting bigger. Planning for 2020 had already started before the coronavirus hit. 2021 is only a wish for now.
“For one weekend each summer, FIGMENT transforms the historic 172-acre island into a magical land filled with collaborative artwork and music,” the Brooklyn Daily Eagle reported in June, 2018.
By David Stone
The same was true for 2019, except the historic island was Roosevelt, not Governors,
RIOC won the Magical FIGMENT NYC for Lighthouse Park on Roosevelt Island.
Related: FIGMENT NYC 2020 Call For Artists
What is FIGMENT?
“FIGMENT is a free participatory arts event that celebrates creativity by challenging artists and participants to find new ways to create, share, and dream,” according to its website, adding, “FIGMENT NYC will take place on Roosevelt Island at Lighthouse Park.”from FIGMENT’s website
FIGMENT brought all that to Lighthouse Park last June.
FIGMENT teams with the Emerging New York Architects Committee (ENYA) of the American Institute of Architects NY Chapter (AIANY) and the Structural Engineers Association of New York (SEAoNY) .
They host a competition to design and construct an architectural pavilion in Lighthouse Park.
The 2020 pavilion marks the Tenth Anniversary of City of Dreams Pavilions and the second on Roosevelt Island.
It’s a major win for the Island of Art concept first kindled and championed by the Roosevelt Island Visual Art Association. RIOC supports the concept.
Robert Ryan, RIOC President/CEO in 2001. offered the group free gallery space in the abandoned Bigelow Pharmacy. The rest is history.
Support accelerated under current RIOC head Susan Rosenthal, an art lover who sees it as a defining element for the community.
Island ideals include art…
“During my administration, we have focused on rebuilding the Island’s infrastructure and also developing new and innovative community programs that expand upon the Island’s ideals that include art, culture, diversity and inclusion. The 2019 City of Dreams Pavilion Competition is the epitome of that,” Rosenthal told The Daily.
In 2018, Rosenthal and Stephen Noone, Assistant Vice President, Capital Planning and Projects, twice met with David Koren, the Executive Producer of Figment Project.
The pair talked up RIOC’s interest and led Koren on a tour available spaces. Lighthouse Park shown as the perfect space.
In the second meeting, RIOC’s Community Affairs team, Director Erica Spencer-EL and Manager Jessica Murray, joined the discussions. Koren was convinced to move the project to the Island.
Learn about Roosevelt Island…
Get to know Roosevelt Island in history…
- The Queensboro Bridge / Greater Astoria and Roosevelt Island Historical Societies
- Roosevelt Island (Images of America) / Roosevelt Island Historical Society
- Damnation Island / Stacy Horn
What, When, Where
“The City of Dreams Pavilion will be a gathering place for people to meet, learn about the arts programs on Roosevelt Island, enjoy a performance or lecture, and enjoy this temporary structure.RIOC
The City of Dreams Pavilion points to the future. We’re asked to imagine a New York City where anything is possible. What would it look like? In our wildest and most optimistic dreams, what is the future of the city?
As for the design competition…
Competition is underway for 2020. A jury of architects and industry professionals reviews submissions and selects finalists.
The finalists get comments from the jury and a chance to revise their designs. The jury meets again, and they select the competition winner in January 2019.”
For Roosevelt Island, FIGMENT NYC stretches The Island of Art from north to south.
Landscape architecture in FDR Four Freedoms Park reaches for the historic Lighthouse built above currents of Hell Gate. Art installed and in galleries mark the path.
FIGMENT NYC RIOC Win
Keeping FIGMENT NYC in Lighthouse Park is a big win, a distinction setting Roosevelt Island apart as a neighborhood fueled by creativity.
News from the Roosevelt Island Daily…
- Il laboratorio del gelato opened in 2002, but it’s hard to understand how New York City kept going before the perfect Italian ice cream stitched it all together. By David Stone […]
- By Dave Fidlin | The Center Square contributor/July 30th, 2021 (The Center Square) – Collectively, governing entities across New York state levy more than twice the national average in personal income […]
- Corporations gutted local newspapers and then wondered why people stopped buying them. By Jim Hightower | July 28, 2021/First published in Other Words Mega-investor Warren Buffett once held a big portfolio of daily […]
- If you’re trying to break a bad habit or start a good one, psychologists have some tips By Stephanie Parker 7.15.2021 Assorted Ideas, Large and Small For many of us, […]
- Reuven Blau, THE CITY This article was originally published on Jul 15 at 8:39pm EDT by THE CITY When 22-year-old German police officer Michele Kiesewetter was fatally shot in the head […]