FIGMENT NYC’s call for artists hit the internet over the weekend. The return to Roosevelt Island on June 6th and 7th features “The Dream Bigger art grant program.” Update: February 16th, 2020 — Call for artists closing date extended until March 1st.
Reporting by David Stone
Rain or shine, FIGMENT NYC fills a weekend with participatory art in Lighthouse Park, historic green space tucked into the East River.
Dream Bigger: FIGMENT NYC 2020 Call for Artists
FIGMENT’s call for artists adds Dream Bigger, this year.
Along with the usual spread of free expression, “We’re looking for ten high-impact participatory weekend-long projects.” That means projects in any discipline…
- Involving a large number of participants
- Being intensely interactive or participatory
- Being visually stunning
- Having an interesting or provocative concept
- Displaying radical efforts towards sustainability throughout all phases of production
- Embracing this year’s question “What if the future is possible?”
Finalists for the City of Dreams Pavilion are already out. When all is said and done, FIGMENT NYC 2020 transforms Roosevelt Island into “a large-scale collaborative artwork.”
For two days, anyway.
Also new for 2020: FIGMENT After Dark… wearable art, LED based sculptures, art cars, blacklight reactive interactivity and more.
FIGMENT NYC’S call for artists is extended until March 1st. Here are the details.
FIGMENT is a 501 (c) (3) not for profit, funded mainly by grants and donations. No corporate sponsorship.
Public, active art with them began in 2007 on Governor’s Island. Roosevelt Island won the privilege in 2019, consistent with its Island of Art ambitions.
Get to know Roosevelt Island in history…
- The Queensboro Bridge / Greater Astoria and Roosevelt Island Historical Societies
- Roosevelt Island (Images of America) / Roosevelt Island Historical Society
- Damnation Island / Stacy Horn
Unique Challenges for 2020.
And Amanda Matthews Nellie Bly Monument, in the same space, may be under construction.
As a hoped for artists’ haven, Roosevelt Island is dynamic, and that won’t change for 2020.