Il laboratorio del gelato opened in 2002, but it’s hard to understand how New York City kept going before the perfect Italian ice cream stitched it all together.
By David Stone
Special for the Roosevelt Island Daily News
The magic of il laboratorio del gelato got its start in founder Jon F. Snyder’s grandparents’ Carvel Ice Cream store in Westchester County. That passion, he says, erupted during a visit to Italy when he was 19. And gelato taught him the true meaning… well, not of life, but of ice cream.
Ice cream, Italian style.
Back in New York, he quit school and launched Ciao Bella Gelato Company, but after five years, he sold it and went back to school.
Eager to produce the world’s finest ice cream, though, three years later, on the Lower East Side, he opened il laboratorio del gelato. That’s where we found him.
il laboratorio del gelato: A Love Story
One summer afternoon after touring the world class Tenement Museum on Orchard Street, my wife dragged me off to a small storefront, little more than a broad window really, and reacquainted me with ice cream. Ice cream like nothing before.
I probably ordered something as close to generic chocolate as I could find. Look, I still have a hard time understanding why God ever made room for any other flavor. But He did, and now, it’s history, my history.
My history with gelato was most recently highlighted with a triple of black sesame, espresso and green tea. With 50 flavors from which to explore, glorious combinations become easy.
That trip to the border of heaven tickled my taste buds at Lab U, il laboratorio del gelato’s newest outpost in the heart of NYU country. It’s on University Place, exactly halfway between Washington and Union Squares.
What’s up with all those flavors?
The delights of storefront gelato stirred to life by Snyder’s crew are a bit of an accident.
Conceived as a “custom kitchen for discerning chefs,” il laboratorio works with local chefs, developing unique flavors. The total is now nearing 300. Lucky for us mere consumers, they share the magic with us.
And if they don’t expand the count too quickly, I want to sample every one of them. Maybe before this summer fades completely.
Il laboratorio del gelato’s main space, where the magic is conjured, is at 188 Ludlow Street. Stuck in New Jersey? There’s also a store at 598 Valley Road in Montclair.
Also from Assorted Ideas, Large & Small
- When did being an adult crybaby get so popular?Crybaby? We knew who they were, and we shunned them. They were wet blankets, whiners who must get their way or force their grievances on everyone else. I know. I was one. […]
- 9/11 AT 20: TWO DECADES OF MISSED OPPORTUNITIESFor just a fraction of what we’ve spent on militarization these last 20 years, we could start to make life much better. By Lindsay Koshgarian | September 8, 2021/Previously published in Other Words Assorted […]
- Experience, Not Evolution, Gets You Up In The MorningExperience as a quest, not evolution, is the driving force in life. Not that evolution doesn’t happen. It does but it’s in service of expanding frontiers of experience. By David Stone Assorted […]
- Only in New York: Discovering the Church of the Holy TrinityDiscovering the Church of the Holy Trinity was one of those accidental finds unique to New York City. Wandering up from Carl Schurz Park, I picked 88th Street instead of the busier […]
- Not just Billy Joel, everyone’s in a New York State of Mind. Listen.NYCNext corrals the best New York City voices, from rap to Broadway, across the spectrum, in a New York State of Mind… singing celebration of love. I’ve literally got nothing to add. […]