I was excited when I got my first mail forwarded by the U.S. Postal Service. Seemed like it took forever, but it was only a little under seven months. For the rest of it, infinity might be more accurate.
By David Stone
We moved in March, 2021. In fairness to the Postal Service, it was a whole mile away but on the same street. We set the forwarding up, weeks in advance, as instructed, and we even got confirmations soon thereafter. They had us in their system.
But in the end, it was more like the Barney Miller episode where the detectives find six years of unforwarded mail in postal workers apartment. Like where did it go?
Admittedly, I don’t get a lot of mail, and most of it is junk. But there’s always something. Spectrum’s endless cable TV offers, for one example. But there were important things, like checks, that never arrived. Of course, it was heartening that none of the checks got cashed elsewhere, but it’s no fun asking a business to send another either.
I can only guess what the Postal Service did with the rest of my six months of mail, even the junk mail, because once they coughed a single one up, it was junk. And past the six month period where they said they wouldn’t forward anymore.
Nostalgia threatened sending me back to an America where the mail arrived, always on time, we were the envy of the world and proud of it. But it ages me. Not many Americans remember that peak anymore.
More from Assorted Ideas, Large & Small
- What Are the Known Benefits of Herbal Medicine?Herbal medicine is one of the oldest forms of medicine in the world, and it has been used for centuries to treat a variety of illnesses. Herbal remedies are controversial, however, and […]
- Can You Train Your Cat? A guide to training your feline friendby David Stone Assorted Ideas, Large & Small Do you think cats are untrainable? If so, you’re in for a surprise! Cats can be trained to do tricks, use the litter box, […]
- Getting to Know the Benefits of MeditationMeditation is an ancient practice that has been proven to reduce stress and improve physical and mental well-being. The long list of benefits can be attributed to the increase in activity within […]
- AN UNCHARITABLE VIEW OF CHARITYIf billionaires are saying they want to “give back,” it’s because we’ve been letting them take too much. By Jim Hightower | January 26, 2022/OtherWords.org Our society has coined expressions like “philanthropist” to encourage […]
- Tips for creating a home embracing the hippie lifestyleThere’s no denying that the ’60s brought on a contagious hippie lifestyle movement with love beads, tie-dye, and the Grateful Dead playing in the background. Even though these days are long gone, […]
Categories: Assorted Ideas