Roosevelt Island News is published today and every day for a small town settled in the heart of New York, America’s greatest city. Here’s what’s happening today…
- The Cornell Tech Scandal You (Almost) Never Heard About
- BITS & PIECES, Elsewhere
- WEATHER, TRAM, SUBWAY, FERRY AND BUSES
- Hooking Up: Roosevelt Island News
- More Roosevelt Island News Today
- Kick Some Ass Now: Make the Bastards Listen, Roosevelt Island
- More About Our Town
- Tram Guide Coronavirus Update
- Free meal distribution weekdays at PS/IS 217 (Source: New York City Board of Education)
- Here’s My Complaint: A Roosevelt Island How-To Guide
- All About Roosevelt Island Parks
- Free Historic Sites: A Guide for Roosevelt Island
- Getting to Know Roosevelt Island…
- Time for a long, feet on the ground look at Roosevelt Island transit options and the future…
- Next Steps…
BITS & PIECES, Elsewhere
- With only 26% of students opting for in-person learning, the city scrambles to meet the challenge. New York Times
- Why all the distrust…? NYPD endorses Trump 2020 with cop car loudspeaker at Brooklyn early voting sight. Gothamist
- Gothamist: 93,000 vote, high enthusiasm in NYC’s first early voting day
- Elko Daily: Bluest Congressional Districts in America? We’re #23.
WEATHER, TRAM, SUBWAY, FERRY AND BUSES
F Trains* (Closed from 1:00 to 5:00 a.m. daily), Roosevelt Island Tram (20 Passenger Limit, All Times/Closed from 1:00 to 6:00 a.m. for Cleaning), NYC Ferry and Q102 Bus on weekday schedules.
*Queens-bound F trains are replaced by Es, late nights from 9:45 p.m. until 1:00 a.m. shutdown.
Check on-time subway status, all lines, here.
*SUPPLEMENTAL RED BUS SHUTTLE:
Red Bus Shuttle Service Info:
Available: Monday – Friday, Except Holidays
Roosevelt Island to Manhattan: board at the R.I. Tram Station. Shuttle will make all northbound local stops to Capobianco Field (Opposite PS/IS 217)
Manhattan to R.I.: board at the southwest side of 2nd Avenue, between 58th & 59th Street. Shuttle will make all southbound local stops (beginning at 591 Main Street) to the Tram station.
Frequency: departing on the half hour, from 10 AM to 2 PM
Last Trip- Manhattan to R.I.: 1:30 PM Roosevelt Island to Manhattan: 1:00 PM
Wednesday’s Weather, October 28th 2020… Early showers, the cloudy as the temperature inches up to around 60. Air Quality Index: Good.
Hooking Up: Roosevelt Island News
More Roosevelt Island News Today
More About Our Town
Free meal distribution weekdays at PS/IS 217 (Source: New York City Board of Education)
- Free “Grab and Go” meals are available for all New Yorkers.
- Monday through Friday, 3:00 to 5:00 p.m.
- Meals Hubs will operate for children and families from 7:30 am to 11:30 am, and for adults from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm.
- No one will be turned away at any time.
- No registration, ID, or documentation required.
- All three meals a day may be picked up at the same time.
- No dining space is available, so meals must be eaten off premises.
- Parents and guardians may pick up meals for their children.
Getting to Know Roosevelt Island…
- Roosevelt Island: New York’s Big Little Island
- Business Second Look: Roosevelt Island’s Oldest “The Deli”
- Ed Logue’s Roosevelt Island
- How many people live on Roosevelt Island?
- All About the Roosevelt Island Tram
- The Roosevelt Island Daily Newspaper
Planned as a City of Tomorrow, Roosevelt Island was born of ideals and rose from the ashes of a city in ruins. Race riots and crime defined too much of a graffiti-scarred town.
Months before, a Daily News headline, Ford to City: Drop Dead, marked the pit of New York’s free fall.
There was nowhere to go but up, and one of first steps out of the urban cellar was Roosevelt Island.
Built on a two-mile long strip of Manhattan schist, this New York City neighborhood in the East River is as distinctive as any, and its need for reliable local information is even more unique.
The Roosevelt Island News aligns with the only local newspaper serving our community. See the Roosevelt Island Daily for events, news, calendars and more.
Keeping to our ideals is a greater struggle now than ever before. A neighborhood built on economic diversity battles gentrification. New market rate housing threatens to topple unity.
Balance between ideals and reality is hard to find, and political power is held by invisible string pullers in Albany.
We started the Roosevelt Island Daily as an independent source for news and opinion. Now, we take it a step farther.
Roosevelt Island News @ Assorted Ideas mixes local stories into a wider framework. We hope you enjoy the variety and range you find here..
Get to know Roosevelt Island in history…
- The Queensboro Bridge / Greater Astoria and Roosevelt Island Historical Societies
- Roosevelt Island (Images of America) / Roosevelt Island Historical Society
- Damnation Island / Stacy Horn