Roosevelt Island News is published today and every day for a small town settled in the heart of New York, America’s greatest city. Here’s what’s happening now…
Roosevelt Island Daily News for Tuesday, April 13th, 2021
The results from our promenade bike ban poll are in. Residents agree on better control, but unfortunately, RIOC’s cooperation is needed for success.
- Maybe last week’s scary numbers were just a blip on the radar. Roosevelt Island coronavirus positivity rates return to normal.
- EXPOSED! Roosevelt Island’s Gay History
- Only in New York: Is art or somebody being funny on East 86th Street?
- A year ago, it was one of the few things we got out of our $4 million investment, but now we can’t even find RIOC’s invisible Public Safety Department anywhere near the Farmers Market.
- Even before the RIOC tax, New Yorkers pay the highest taxes in the nation.
Buy me a coffee…
Support local journalism. Small towns like Roosevelt Island don’t have enough advertiser support. So, how about helping us out with a small donation?
Roosevelt Island Daily/News In Your Inbox…
TRAM, SUBWAY, FERRY AND BUSES
F Trains (Closed from 2:00 to 4:00 a.m. daily), Roosevelt Island Tram** (Passenger Limit: 55) Closed from 1:00 to 6:00 a.m. for Cleaning), NYC Ferry and Q102 Bus on weekday schedules.
Check on-time subway status, all lines, here.
Free meal distribution weekdays at PS/IS 217 (Source: New York City Board of Education)
- Free “Grab and Go” meals are available for all New Yorkers.
- Monday through Friday, 3:00 to 5:00 p.m.
- Meals Hubs will operate for children and families from 7:30 am to 11:30 am, and for adults from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm.
- No one will be turned away at any time.
- No registration, ID, or documentation required.
- All three meals a day may be picked up at the same time.
- No dining space is available, so meals must be eaten off premises.
- Parents and guardians may pick up meals for their children.
Months before, a Daily News headline, Ford to City: Drop Dead, marked the pit of New York’s free fall.
There was nowhere to go but up, and one of first steps out of the urban cellar was Roosevelt Island.
Built on a two-mile long strip of Manhattan schist, this New York City neighborhood in the East River is as distinctive as any, and its need for reliable local information is even more unique.
The Roosevelt Island News aligns with the only local newspaper serving our community. See the Roosevelt Island Daily for events, news, calendars and more.
Keeping to our ideals is a greater struggle now than ever before. A neighborhood built on economic diversity battles gentrification. New market rate housing threatens to topple unity.
Balance between ideals and reality is hard to find, and political power is held by invisible string pullers in Albany.
We started the Roosevelt Island Daily as an independent source for news and opinion. Now, we take it a step farther.
Roosevelt Island News @ Assorted Ideas mixes local stories into a wider framework. We hope you enjoy the variety and range you find here..
Get to know Roosevelt Island in history…
- The Queensboro Bridge / Greater Astoria and Roosevelt Island Historical Societies
- Roosevelt Island (Images of America) / Roosevelt Island Historical Society
- Damnation Island / Stacy Horn