TRAM, SUBWAY, FERRY AND BUSES
E/F Trains* (Closed from 2:00 to 4:00 a.m. daily), Roosevelt Island Tram** (35 Passenger Limit — Goes Up To 55 on March 8th, All Times/Closed from 1:00 to 6:00 a.m. for Cleaning), NYC Ferry and Q102 Bus on weekend schedules.
*Previously announced service changes lasting until spring are now in place. E Trains replace Fs in both directions every weekend and after 9:45 p.m. weekdays.
Check on-time subway status, all lines, here.
Free meal distribution weekdays at PS/IS 217 (Source: New York City Board of Education)
- Free “Grab and Go” meals are available for all New Yorkers.
- Monday through Friday, 3:00 to 5:00 p.m.
- Meals Hubs will operate for children and families from 7:30 am to 11:30 am, and for adults from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm.
- No one will be turned away at any time.
- No registration, ID, or documentation required.
- All three meals a day may be picked up at the same time.
- No dining space is available, so meals must be eaten off premises.
- Parents and guardians may pick up meals for their children.
Months before, a Daily News headline, Ford to City: Drop Dead, marked the pit of New York’s free fall.
There was nowhere to go but up, and one of first steps out of the urban cellar was Roosevelt Island.
Built on a two-mile long strip of Manhattan schist, this New York City neighborhood in the East River is as distinctive as any, and its need for reliable local information is even more unique.
The Roosevelt Island News aligns with the only local newspaper serving our community. See the Roosevelt Island Daily for events, news, calendars and more.
Keeping to our ideals is a greater struggle now than ever before. A neighborhood built on economic diversity battles gentrification. New market rate housing threatens to topple unity.
Balance between ideals and reality is hard to find, and political power is held by invisible string pullers in Albany.
We started the Roosevelt Island Daily as an independent source for news and opinion. Now, we take it a step farther.
Roosevelt Island News @ Assorted Ideas mixes local stories into a wider framework. We hope you enjoy the variety and range you find here..
Get to know Roosevelt Island in history…
- The Queensboro Bridge / Greater Astoria and Roosevelt Island Historical Societies
- Roosevelt Island (Images of America) / Roosevelt Island Historical Society
- Damnation Island / Stacy Horn